Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Post Office

We couldn’t do without them, and this nice reflection from Nonprofit About.com highlights their value to all of us.

An excerpt, with links at the jump..

“I really don't want the post office or mail delivery to go away.

“It's true, I've complained over the years...about grumpy postal employees, long lines to mail packages at the holidays, circling the block waiting for a parking space in tiny post office lots, and the constantly rising cost of stamps.

“But, I've rarely met a post person delivering my mail that I didn't like. I still love checking my mailbox and am sorely disappointed when it's empty. Even junk mail seems somehow comforting.

“I don't mind if the postal service drops Saturday deliveries, closes some post offices, and phases out overnight mail...all actions that are being considered by postal service management and, soon, by congress.

“I just don't want to lose it. Nonprofits, I'm sure, don't want to lose it either. Even though all of our electronic wizardry has helped threaten the USPS, we can't get along without it.

“Direct mail fundraising is still the most widely used and successful of any fundraising technique ever, and think of all the thank you letters, newsletters, and invitations that the nonprofit sector sends daily.”