Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Hassle Factor

This article from About.com Nonprofits really does a great job of explaining why it can be such a barrier to support.

An excerpt.

“…nonprofits are just as likely as any other business to ignore the little hassles that they put their donors, volunteers, or clients through. In fact, nonprofits, because they are often understaffed and overwhelmed, may feel that they are "entitled" to some degree of hassle. Their's is a good cause, right? Surely people will be patient with the little rocks in the road.

“It isn't so. When I recently had to register at a nonprofit's website before I was allowed to donate online, it made me crazy and I quit. Why should I have to fill in the same information twice? When I tried to volunteer with an organization, and then was insulted when I arrived because the person in charge of that activity had not been told to expect me, I was so discouraged that I never went back. When I run into a contact form on a nonprofit website instead of the ability to contact someone directly, I click on to somewhere else.

“How does your organization manage to "hassle" your supporters, clients, donors? What is the hassle map?

“Is your website easy to navigate? Is your donation process easy and transparent? Do you send out thank you letters promptly? Do you make sure you don't waste your volunteers' time? Is your front office staff helpful to people who walk in or who call? Is your phone system helpful or a frustrating maze? Do you have ways for people to contact real people when they have a problem?”