Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Therapy for Nonprofits

A very intriguing article, but remember, an active confessional life with your parish priest may be an even better tool than the therapy described in this article from Blue Avocado.

An excerpt.

“I worked most of my career in nonprofits, but I experienced so much dysfunction -- including my own! -- that in 2007 I decided to train as a psychotherapist.

“The very dynamics that motivate us to change the world can also create unnecessary personal, psychic suffering and result in a need for psychotherapy for some. Many of us hold ourselves to an ethic of sacrifice and self-deprivation as well, often stemming from some variety of guilt or survivor guilt. Of course, we have clear, ethical, intelligent reasons to change the world. But we need personal freedom in addition to social freedom.

“Top 7 reasons nonprofit people may find therapy helpful

“7. You will be able to plan creatively for your own future.

“People in the nonprofit world can sometimes lose sight of our personal future, in our eagerness to win victories for others. Therapy can help you sketch out your own career dreams. You can't advocate for yourself in an effective way if you're not sure what you want. I had a client tell me recently, "Once I was able to ask for the promotion I wanted and get it, I felt appreciated and naturally generous, instead of guilty."

“6. You will learn how to really not take things personally.

“In therapy, many of us work on perceiving what is real. Do I really want to be a doctor, or was that my dad's wish? Why am I drawn to this person who does not seem to want me? Does my supervisor hate me, or is she stressed out and scared about funding? Not taking things personally means we can communicate like adults, take responsibility for ourselves, and have clearer interactions.”